Thursday, June 14, 2012

Well I had a nice little plein air study I was going to post (not that anyone is looking) but for some reason the post and the picture wouldn't both show at the same time.  I can't tell if it's the picture file or the text that's giving me a hard time.  For my own sake and reflection though, to remember what I learned from that day, I will try to describe again the points of the painting session...

I set up some potted plants (a tomato, dill, parsley, and a couple petunias for color) and a Quaker chair my dad built years ago in a nice little setting on the deck.  I started late in the day, hiding from the sun under the eave of the back porch with my easel.  The shadows cast by the setting sun on the deck helped enhance the composition, but the shade I painted in I believe was a bit too dark.

I finished the plein air sketch in a little over an hour, wanting to work longer, but stopping before I muddied the painting by trying to add too many details.  The perspective caught me as a bit "off" here and there, but it was good practice in capturing light and shadows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment